KListViewSearchLine

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Wed Feb 18 01:12:46 GMT 2004

On Wednesday 18 February 2004 01:03, Scott Wheeler wrote:
> ...and since it's so much fun talking to myself -- here's a new
> thingie that I added tonight -- this makes it possible (there's a
> slot to turn this on and off) to show the parent items above matched
> items in a tree like search:
>
> http://ktown.kde.org/~wheeler/images/kmail-search-threads.png

That's really great stuff. But... (see below)

> I've also update the API a little bit for this stuff and am attaching
> a new version.  There's been a reasonable amount of interest in this,
> though such hasn't shown up here; there are certainly at least the
> standard two places where this would be applicable in KDE that's
> normally a requirement for a new class.

If KMail is one of the standard two places then you have probably
forgotten that at least until the separate KDE PIM release but very
likely even afterwards all KDE PIM applications will have to depend on
nothing from post-3.2 kdelibs.

> In the above screenshot I've also discovered a Qt bug that I haven't
> come up with a good test-case for yet, but sometimes it shows items
> that where setVisible(false) has been called, but only in a tree view
> with multiple siblings on a given node (or at least from what I've
> observed).  Note the visible mail from Russel in the above.  I'll see
> if I can come up with a testcase and Qt patch in the next few days.
>
> So is this ok to check in?  (Just the libs part; I'll deal with the
> application patches later.)

Again: Don't even think about adding anything to KMail that requires
more than kdelibs from KDE_3_2_BRANCH.

But of course we could consider to add a temporary copy of
KListViewSearchLine to libkdepim because it's really a great new
feature. OTOH for KMail it should be possible to choose which
field/header (via a combobox) should be checked for matches. Actually
for KMail KMSearchRuleWidget should be used for this. So, I'm not in
favor of using KListViewSearchLine in KMail though the backend could
probably be used.

Regards,
Ingo