PATCH: Bug 73440: Konq deletes files when dragging

David Faure faure at kde.org
Tue Feb 17 09:31:52 GMT 2004

On Tuesday 17 February 2004 09:06, Dawit A. wrote:
> Anyways, I guess I should revert part of the kio_file patch
> where I remove the symlink and deal with the remote protocols differently.
> This makes the thing inconsistent, but that is the nature of the beast...

Personally I'm fine with replacing the _symlink_, not its target (which can't be
seen from the GUI). KDE tells you "there's already a file with that name"
(when it means the symlink), and you say "overwrite" - this is really supposed to
'overwrite' the file in THAT directory, i.e. replace the symlink with a real file.
Any action on the target of the symlink is really unexpected at that point IMHO.
Analogies with shell commands don't hold. Things are different when you
drag and drop icons around, and when you type commands. And the fact that
there is no handy shell command for replacing a symlink (other than rm first)
doesn't mean that this isn't the preferred action when using the GUI.