PATCH: Bug 73440: Konq deletes files when dragging

Dawit A. adwa at cox.net
Tue Feb 17 08:06:19 GMT 2004

On Sunday 15 February 2004 11:21, you wrote:
> On Saturday 14 February 2004 23:35, David Faure wrote:
> > > - Fixes BR 73440. All io-slaves that support "linking & copying" need a
> > > similar fix.
> >
> > Looks good to me, thanks.
>
> Huh?
>
> I think this patch is wrong. You *can* write to a symlink, and it *has to*
> overwrite the *destination* of the symlink.
>
> Otherwise whenever you overwrite a file that has a symlink in its path,
> you're actually "detaching" it and you have two different files afterwards.
> that is wrong.

[ snip example ]

> The part that is broken in konqueror is the "is it the same file?" check.

Yes and that is how I attempted to fix it at first. See the attached patch.
However, the problem is a more complicated for us because we allow the same
actions over remote protocols like sftp. What should happen if you for example
try to carry out the same actions from file:/ to sftp:// on the same machine
(localhost) ?  Anyways, I guess I should revert part of the kio_file patch
where I remove the symlink and deal with the remote protocols differently.
This makes the thing inconsistent, but that is the nature of the beast...

--
Regards,
Dawit A.