System Bell - what a smell, so what the hell?

Adriaan de Groot adridg at sci.kun.nl
Mon Feb 16 10:25:00 GMT 2004

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004, Frans Englich wrote:
> KDE have its state of the art System Notifications - is there any reason to
> why the System Bell is preferred? In what cases would the user ditch System
> Notification and return to the stone age PC-speaker? :)

Here's another use-case, not related to can't recompile-my-kernel or
arts-is-buggy. It does make use of the hypothetical feature of arts to
stream audio to another machine - a feature so buggy when last I tried it
that writing an ESD plugin for juk was easier than dealing with arts.

I use arts to stream audio from my desktop machine to another machine
which is connected to the stereo. This makes noatun a nice media player -
all my music goes across the network and comes out of my speakers, and I
can control the music in the whole house from one spot. But when I do
something wrong and the notification rings, I _don't_ want the
notification to play at 130dB through the whole house - it would wake the
baby, who much prefers listening to Suicidal Tendencies at 130dB. So I use
the system bell, which comes out of the local speaker as a civilized
"beep", and it doesn't disturb my rockin'.