Updated policy

Martin Köbele martin at mkoebele.de
Fri Feb 13 18:37:37 GMT 2004

On Friday 13 February 2004 19:15, Olaf Jan Schmidt wrote:

> Hi!
>
> After getting constructive feedback from Rob, Gerhard and Harri, I changed
> the wording of my suggested policy to deal with the mentioned problems.
>
> This is my new suggestion:
>
> "KDE does not host software which promotes illegal activities or which
> primary purpose
what is primary? each user sets his own priorities. some people use the
webbrowser to browse warez-pages or anything else in a legal grey-zone.
Some people use k3b to make copies of CDs. In some countries it's not even
allowed to make private copies. Richard Smith wrote in an email, that there
is no "private use"-disclaimer for copying copyrighted material.

> is illegal in the countries where the main KDE servers
> (web servers, FTP server, CVS server, mailing lists) are located.
this would require a complete understanding of the law of all the countries.
which countries are those? including the mirrors!

> developers convincingly show that they have a correct understanding of the
> legal situation and that the project has a history of clearly respecting
> the law.
requirment: each developer better study law of the US, Germany, EU, and
International Law.

> Compliance with this policy does not mean that a project must be hosted by
> KDE. It is only a guideline for the discussion about whether KDE is
> interested in hosting a project."
>

> I am aware that Apollon does not fit in with this policy for several
> reasons, although I originally was in favour of allowing Apollon into
> KEG.
>
> The points currently excluding Apollon are:
> * The website shows screenshots which promote unauthorized copying.
it'll be fixed asap.

> * The authors made uninformed statements about the legal situation in
> Germany to the kde-core-devel list.
uninformed is wrong. Incomplete is better.
NOBODY here has a complete understanding of the law!!!!
Everybody should be aware of that! Do you guys think law is easy to
understand? Oh boys.
Especially the copyright-law is a really difficult one, especially when it
comes to international stuff.

> If you believe that the policy should be changed to allow Apollon to be
> hosted by KDE, then please offer good arguments on why these requirements
> mentioned in the suggested policy are not necessary for the protection of
> KDE against reasonable lawsuits.
why should KDE be sued?
KDE doesn't even support the file-sharing-networks! Because Apollon is no
file-sharing network.

(debian distributs several p2p-clients and daemons.)

Please, where is this discussion leading to?
What is that policy stuff about?

In my eyes it would be totally sufficient if the authors of apollon and
kmldonkey have a statement in the program (for example as a kmessagebox)
which is similar to the already mentioned "HOT"-sign as on American
coffee-cups.

Martin