Suggestion: Make "WhatsThis" 100% complete for next release

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Fri Feb 13 13:00:58 GMT 2004

Gunnar Schmi Dt wrote:

>>>QWhatsThis allows hyperlinks, khelpcenter supports juping to
>>>subsections. I think that's what we want. Move longer explanations to
>>>the docs
>>
>>Why? If there are longer ones, they seem to be required. Once you decide
>>you need help and click the WhatsThis, your workflow is interrupted
>>anyway. You've consciously decided you need to read up a bit. So if an
>>explanation takes 100 words instead of 10, so be it. Likely you'll not
>>klick often on it. And if you leave it alone, it leaves you alone.
>>
>>[...]
>

> IMHO there is a difference between a good What's This-texts and a good
> documentation. The What's This text is mostly used if you are unsure about
> one user element while the documentation is used when you have no clue at
> all what the dialog is about or if the What's This text does not provide
> the information you need.

May I ask you a favour?

Have a look at the current (3.2) state of (still incomplete) WhatsThis
for "kprinter". Mail me (off list, if you think it is not of general
interest) your findings in detail, based on the criteria you mentioned
about WhatsThis.

I'd like to know where you think it can be improved. 'Cause I'm going
to start with the completion work there soonish...

Cheers,
Kurt