Suggestion: Make "WhatsThis" 100% complete for next release

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Thu Feb 12 21:54:23 GMT 2004

Daniel Naber wrote:
> On Thursday 12 February 2004 19:58, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
>

>>100% WhatsThis to me is one of the most important single criteria
>>to declare KDE a "polished" and enterprise-ready desktop. It could
>>be one of the jobs of the Quality Teams to look for gaps and close
>>them.
>

> I think WhatThis isn't as usable as it could be:

But it should. And has the potential to be it.

> you need two clicks just
> to notice that there's no help for that specific button.

That's precicely what I want to avoid. It must be like this:

You need 2 clicks and get a very useful hint about what this
checkbox' meaning is. If KDE is "whatsthis-complete" we can
start promoting it as a feature. Currently we can't.

> Of course not
> every button needs a help, this makes it more complicated. Wouldn't a
> "hyperlink approach" be more reasonable? By this i mean: next to each
> button, input field etc that has a help text there's a small blue "?" that
> can be clicked. Advantages: it's easy to recognize that there *is* help,
> and it requires only one click.

One or 2 clicks aren't really important. Whatsthis will only
be used at the beginning of a user's acquaintance with a new
app. Or if he uses it very rarely. It is much quicker than
going to khelpcenter and reading any manual. Manuals are
read by 2% of users, at most.

A '?' near every button and checkbox and radiobutton will
"clutter" the UI, I'm afraid.

> Also, it would be cool if the documentation could somehow "include" these
> help texts. Duplication could thus be avoided.

Hmm...

> Regards
>  Daniel

Cheers,