Suggestion: Make "WhatsThis" 100% complete for next release

Tobias Koenig tokoe at kde.org
Fri Feb 13 12:38:12 GMT 2004

On Fri, Feb 13, 2004 at 11:38:14AM +0100, Frerich Raabe wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 13, 2004 at 11:15:50AM +0100, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
Hi Frerich,

> > What about doing this at run-time of the application? You could parse the
> > QObject tree of a dialog and extract the WhatsThis texts from there. It could
> > also be used to create screenshots,
>
> Hmm, yes (why does the idea sound remotely familiar to me, did you suggest it
> some time ago already?), I bet one could even do that in kdelibs. Maybe a
> "dumpSkeletonDocbook" method or so.
>
> > maybe even automatically create an image
>
> That would merely be a matter of a QPixmap::grabWidget call, I guess.
>
> > where the WhatsThis texts are connected to the associated widgets by an arrow
> > or something like that.
>
> This could be tricky, I'm not sure how to do it right now, it seems like
> hairy work.
When you do it at runtime, you know the widget where the QWhatsThis
belongs to and you can query the relative position to the mainwindow
(aka the window you make the screenshot of) and so you know where to
draw the arrow... the remaining problem, how to draw an arrow? :)

Ciao,
Tobias
--
Separate politics from religion and economy!