Suggestion: Make "WhatsThis" 100% complete for next release

Jamethiel Knorth jamethknorth at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 13 03:05:11 GMT 2004

> > > 100% WhatsThis to me is one of the most important single criteria
> > > to declare KDE a "polished" and enterprise-ready desktop. It could
> > > be one of the jobs of the Quality Teams to look for gaps and close
> > > them.
> >
> > I think WhatThis isn't as usable as it could be: you need two clicks
>just
> > to notice that there's no help for that specific button. Of course not
> > every button needs a help, this makes it more complicated. Wouldn't a
> > "hyperlink approach" be more reasonable? By this i mean: next to each
> > button, input field etc that has a help text there's a small blue "?"
>that
> > can be clicked. Advantages: it's easy to recognize that there *is* help,
> > and it requires only one click.
>
>hrm.... with the downside of it taking up UI space and introducing clutter
>all
>the time.

What about having the Middle-Mouse button call What's This? help, so that it
is more swiftly accessible? Areas you can paste to almost never need help,
and those that do have labels where the help could be put. Although I am
still concerned about the conflict with paste, I like the way that help
would be swiftly accessible by a mostly unused button.

Also, I would recommend putting a "More Info..." link in the lower right
corner of any What's This? tip that can link to a section of the help
manual.