A humble packager's request: Retire kdeaddons.

Michael Nottebrock michaelnottebrock at gmx.net
Wed Feb 11 13:14:07 GMT 2004

On Wednesday 11 February 2004 11:03, David Faure wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 February 2004 03:00, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> > Is 0.35 M less for each of the "base" modules (of course kdepim would
> > actually grow much less than kdemultimedia in reality, but it's still
> > okay for illustration) really worth an addons package?
>
> You're missing the main point.
> That plugin is there because it has compile-time dependencies on both
> kdenetwork and kdepim.
> If we allow inter-main-modules dependencies, it's going to be hell to build
> things.

Uhm, sorry, but you already _are_ allowing inter-main-module dependencies,
through the kdeaddons hub. They are all resolvable with a little effort. For
example, I don't see why the newsticker should NOT go into pim - if Kontact
can use it, it's obviously a pim thing, so it can go into pim. At least, that
logic obviously worked for Kmail & Knode as well.

> If you want to improve things for the user so that he doesn't have to
> install all the dependencies of kdeaddons, simply split kdeaddons into
> sub-packages at packaging time. This is recommended in general, but even
> more so for kdeaddons.

Unfortunately, we currently lack the resources to do that (of course that's
not KDE's fault). Our effort is indeed humble, hence my request to go a
little easier on us. Anyway, my point is made, I'll go back to lurking now.

   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org