A humble packager's request: Retire kdeaddons.

Dirk Mueller mueller at kde.org
Wed Feb 11 14:59:26 GMT 2004

On Wednesday 11 February 2004 15:31, Scott Wheeler wrote:

> JuK and amaroK won't be build without TagLib -- it's not like the whole KDE
> build hinges on those apps.

sorry, thats not what we're talking about. packages do want JuK and amaroK,
but they don't want to have the dependency mess.

Here you have to build one module twice to get everything right. that can't be
it, and most packagers build systems don't support that.

> Also kdeextragear is a special case since it's not released as a module --
> it's just a place that things happen to have their CVS located.

Thats wrong again. kdeextragear has rather strict policy rules which were
violated by this import.

> TagLib was put in KEG because that was more convenient for folks than, say,
> having it in my local CVS.  It's not and I don't intend for it to be part
> of KDE multimedia.  kdesupport would have been the most appropriate place,
> but it was killed the week before TagLib was moved to KDE's CVS.

kdesupport is something different - it was for copies of 3rd party libs that
are not maintained in our CVS.

TagLib however is a 3rd party lib that *is* maintained in our CVS. I agree it
might make sense to reopen kdesupport with that new policy. unserbreak also
belongs into kdesupport.

Dirk