A humble packager's request: Retire kdeaddons.

Scott Wheeler wheeler at kde.org
Wed Feb 11 14:31:41 GMT 2004

On Wednesday 11 February 2004 14:17, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 February 2004 11:03, David Faure wrote:
> > If we allow inter-main-modules dependencies, it's going to be hell to
> > build things.
>
> Did you try a clean build lately?
>
> kdemultimedia requires kdeextragear-2 (the taglib stuff)
> kdeextragear-1 requires kdemultimedia and kdeextragear-2 (amarok)

JuK and amaroK won't be build without TagLib -- it's not like the whole KDE
build hinges on those apps.

Also kdeextragear is a special case since it's not released as a module --
it's just a place that things happen to have their CVS located.

On the first iteration for a developer running from KDE CVS this may be
counterintuitive, but this is completely different from the current
discussion and how it relates to packagers.  Packagers only deal with the
released tarballs that come from KEG.

> we have more of such obfuscations, and in this concrete case I think it was
> entirely wrong to start with (taglib in keg), but nobody was listening..

TagLib was put in KEG because that was more convenient for folks than, say,
having it in my local CVS.  It's not and I don't intend for it to be part of
KDE multimedia.  kdesupport would have been the most appropriate place, but
it was killed the week before TagLib was moved to KDE's CVS.

-Scott

--
Gambling: It's like a tax on people who don't understand mathematics.