run-time KConfigDialog/KConfigSkeleton

Rob Kaper cap at capsi.com
Wed Feb 11 12:28:32 GMT 2004

I've got a couple of KConfigDialog / KConfigSkeleton questions. At first
glance these classes appeared to be exactly what I need, but I'm running
into problems now that I'm examining them more closely.

1) I don't know what items are available until run-time, while it seems to
be a requirement for these classes to know them at compile time. Atlantik
merely is a client for monopd games, it doesn't know much about games itself
(by design), so monopd sends a list of options such as "always shuffle
decks" on run-time, an option that simply won't be relevant for all board
games I'm aiming to support.

It looks like the dialog can handle it since I'm just passing a skeleton to
it, but there doesn't seem to be a way to populate the skeleton at run-time.
That would be an extremely powerful feature.

2) Is it possible (haven't examined it closely yet due to the first issue)
to make sure no file interaction takes place? These aren't options that
should be stored really, they are just configurable settings for the
selected game and will often be agreed upon between the players that happen
to be in that specific game.

Atlantik currently only has run-time boolean options because it's so easy to
throw a bunch of checkboxes in a vertical layout, but there are some
requests for options that require more exotic widgets such as numeric values
(starting money) that would require me to probably duplicate quite some code
because I'd do exactly what these classes already do: populate a
configuration skeleton and offer a GUI, except that I want to do it at
run-time with custom read/write methods instead of during compile time with
file read/writes.

Is it worth looking into extending these classes for these purposes?

Rob
--
Rob Kaper     | 2/13 Shaggable Sluts 2/17 Blink-182, 2/29 Anti-Flag
cap at capsi.com | 3/5  Anti-Flag/Heideroosjes, 3/19 The Offspring