Apollon soon in kde-extragear

Charles de Miramon cmiramon at kde-france.org
Tue Feb 10 16:56:48 GMT 2004

Hello,

Personnally my position on p2p clients in KDE cvs is similar to Scott's
and I would prefer kmldonkey and appollon to be hosted outside of KDE cvs.

In France, and I guess in Europe and elsewhere, the Record Industry has
pushed for new laws against online piracy. Nobody knows how these laws
will be implemented and what will be the result of trials. Will they sue
individual users, France Télécom or furnisher of software ? I think that
by accepting these softwares in CVS, KDE is taking a legal risk, even if
it is a slim one.

The consensus reached on kde-policies was I believe that we accept these
software in CVS but if we receive any legal threat about it, we will
immediately take them away from CVS. As Waldo said, software authors
should promote the p2p technology and take a lot of care of not hinting to
their illegal use.

Cheers,
Charles

--