New KCM UserAccount replaces Email and UserInfo

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Feb 10 05:46:18 GMT 2004

On February 09, 2004 10:27, Frans Englich wrote:
> The Email KCM was originally a place solely for email(profiles, tentacles
> etc.) but have been reduced over time, and this move does it fully - it
> says: email configuration is best done in the MUA.

> Except merging the functionality, it thus removes the SMTP server setting
> and reply to address

a default outgoing email server is somewhat important to automate certain
services, such as CDDB submissions ... it would be nice to see this remain.
the reply-to address can probably be deep-sixed just fine =)

> and some too technical information from the User
> Account module.

too technical for whom? that information is useful and at _worst_ it would be
good to have a "More >>" button. the important questions are: does that
additional information cause consternation and confusion among users? is it
useful for the helpdesk?

put below the editable information i don't see what harm it would do, though i
can see benefits. the kcm is very small, another 4-5 lines of text shouldn't
hurt.

> The KDM Image/face part in userinfo comes with a set of images. In either
> case they need to be thoroughly clensed, and this new incarnation have a
> significant lowered count(many duplicates, too bad quality etc). I will try
> to hook up an nice artist or something, a uniformed set of penguins would
> be nice.

KDE is not Linux, but penguins are. it's probably a good move to keep KDE and
penguins optional and not a standard fare.

> As usual, this needs a thorough review.
>
> What do people think?

i find it slightly odd that one's name appears twice: once in large letters in
a label and once in an editable box. what about just having the editable box?

as for the username below, i don't think it's at all obvious what that is
exactly. prefacing it with "Username:" or "Log in:" might help make it
clearer.

the "click on the button" label makes the purpose and function of the icon
button clearer, though i wonder at it's positioning? hrm... i also question
the obviousness of it: what does that icon have to do with my account? (yes,
it's used in kdm and possibly elsewhere... but i don't think that's obvious
to a casual user).

steps in the right direction, though! =) using UI files and KConfigXT are
other plusses going for it.

p.s. i haven't tried the actual code in action yet, this is all just based on
the screenshot.

- --
Aaron J. Seigo
while (!horse()); cart();