New KCM UserAccount replaces Email and UserInfo

Frans Englich frans.englich at telia.com
Tue Feb 10 05:27:41 GMT 2004

Hi all,

Attached tarball contains a KCM which replaces "Network &
Internet/Email"(kdebase/kcontrol/email) and "System Administration/User
Account"(kdeutils/kdepasswd/userinfo), which has the technical advantages it
uses KConfigXT; Designer files; More "modern" code and follows the KCM
Guidelines(whatever that is, at the moment). It also fixes some bugs here and
there. And probably introduces some new, of course.
Email and Useraccount duplicates information and functionality and keeps user
information in two places. The new kcm have Email, Fullname, change password,
organization, KDM login image in one place, becoming a central place for the
user's "profile".
The Email KCM was originally a place solely for email(profiles, tentacles
etc.) but have been reduced over time, and this move does it fully - it says:
email configuration is best done in the MUA.
Except merging the functionality, it thus removes the SMTP server setting and
reply to address and some too technical information from the User Account
module.
The KDM Image/face part in userinfo comes with a set of images. In either case
they need to be thoroughly clensed, and this new incarnation have a
significant lowered count(many duplicates, too bad quality etc). I will try
to hook up an nice artist or something, a uniformed set of penguins would be
nice.

Technically, it's written from scratch but the "face" code is from the
userinfo module. The face will get a face lift by Ravi(ain't I funny?), later
on.

But.

This module allows to change password(via kdepasswd) and that binary is in
kdeutils, and this module run the election program for kdebase resulting in a
conflict.. I'm told this have been discussed before, long ago but I raise the
issue again:
I suggest kdepasswd to be moved to kdebase. I don't want it in the menu, I
want it as a backing technology for the very basic functionality which is
changing your password. Simple. Attached patch also fixes some miscellaneous
issues with kdepasswd(usability stuff, cleanup, make it a unique app).
BTW, the KCM will be modified to support its y* equivalents to chfn etc.
somewhere in 3.3(by Ravi again, IIRC).

http://www.kde-look.org/content/files/10651-kcm_useraccount.png

As usual, this needs a thorough review.

What do people think?