[OT] some weird GPL licensing questions

Peter S Galbraith p.galbraith at globetrotter.net
Tue Feb 10 01:41:08 GMT 2004

Alexander Neundorf <neundorf at kde.org> wrote:

> On Monday 09 February 2004 22:12, Peter S Galbraith wrote:
> > Alexander Neundorf <neundorf at kde.org> wrote:
> > > So here we go:
> > > AFAIK the GPL mainly says that if you have the binary version of
> > > something you have the right to get the sources of this version.
> >
> > Yes, but only _from_ the person who gave you the binary.  If you give
> > binar+source to party B and party B give a binary-only to party C, then
> > party C can't force _you_ to give source.
>
> This is new to me. Which part of the GPL says this ?

:   3. You may copy and distribute the Program (or a work based on it,
: under Section 2) in object code or executable form under the terms of
: Sections 1 and 2 above provided that you also do one of the following:
:
:     a) Accompany it with the complete corresponding machine-readable
:     source code, which must be distributed under the terms of Sections
:     1 and 2 above on a medium customarily used for software interchange; or,

You have satisfied the license wrt the person you distributed to, but
you are nor obligated to anyone else.

Peter