[OT] some weird GPL licensing questions

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Mon Feb 9 22:10:58 GMT 2004

On Monday 09 February 2004 22:39, Roberto Alsina wrote:

> >> Yes, but only _from_ the person who gave you the binary.  If you give
> >> binar+source to party B and party B give a binary-only to party C, then
> >> party C can't force _you_ to give source.
> >
> > This is new to me. Which part of the GPL says this ?
>
> It's more like, no part says you have to.

I think the gpl faq says something different:

"My friend got a GPL-covered binary with an offer to supply source, and made a
copy for me. Can I use the offer myself to obtain the source?

Yes, you can. The offer must be open to everyone who has a copy of the binary
that it accompanies. This is why the GPL says your friend must give you a
copy of the offer along with a copy of the binary---so you can take advantage
of it. "

Bye
Alex