[OT] some weird GPL licensing questions

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at kdemail.net
Mon Feb 9 21:02:21 GMT 2004

Alexander Neundorf wrote:
>Does this also mean that I only have to give the sources to people who
> have the binary version ?

Yes.

> And does this also
> mean that I don't have to give the sources to somebody who doesn't
> have the binary and who I don't like (for whatever reason) ?

Right. If someone doesn't have anything, he's not entitled to ask you
for anything. (Which is why some of GPL's old fears isn't true:
in-house built software that doesn't get deployed doesn't require
source code being made available. So companies CAN develop using GPLed
Qt and not release the source to anyone, as long as the software is
used only inside said company.)

>Let's say I (in the case I would be an until now proprietary-only
> developing software company) would decide to make a library
> dual-licensed GPL and commercial, I wouldn't *have* to put the GPL
> sources on a website, right ?

No. If someone buys from you the library with the commercial license,
they have their rights according to that license. If you sell it GPL,
then the person who got it is entitled to the sources.

The GPL says nothing about placing on the Web. It does, however, state
that you make an offer valid for 5 years that you will ship the source
code. Needless to say, Web is easier and cheaper.

What I don't know is whether a third-party is allowed to ask the source
from you. I think they are.

> I would only have to ensure that
> everybody who buys the binary version from me is able to get the
> sources for the binary, maybe he has to send me a mail and then I
> send him the sources. Right ?

That's about it. Placing it on a website is just the most common method,
but nowhere the only one.

>Would I actually be allowed to sell this software ? I.e. would it be
> ok to say "give me 500 euro and you get the GPL binary library, and
> if you ask for it, I'll send you also the sources".

Yes, I think so.

> Of course as soon
> as he would have received the sources he would be allowed to make
> them available for free on his webpage. Right ?

Right. Hence the reason that selling GPL software is not often done.

Just to make sure: IANAL.
--
  Thiago Macieira  -  Registered Linux user #65028
   thiagom (AT) mail (dot) com