API problems (Was: future versions)

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau Friedrich.W.H at Kossebau.de
Sat Feb 7 11:18:38 GMT 2004

Am Samstag, 7. Februar 2004 02:54 schrieb Marc Mutz:
> The accumulated mess in kdelibs/interfaces. Yes, I'm all for interfaces
> but requiring a text editor to implement - say - a dozen "interfaces"
> is quite heavy, esp. since they each require virtual inheritance, which
> is surprisingly memory intensive.

Teach me please: What do you mean by memory intensive? I am not an expert but
I guess that an entry in the virtual table is still sizeof(void*) and there
is only one table (collection)  per class, right? So a table can be expected
to be less than or around one kB. In ones' code one needs a dozen pointer
variables for all the interfaces and then there is the overhead for each
function call.

But is this really memory intensive? Please, can you correct me or give some
numbers?

Friedrich