KControl Module Guidelines

Frans Englich frans.englich at telia.com
Fri Feb 6 22:16:42 GMT 2004

All right, here's the initial draft of the KCM Guidelines.

http://developer.kde.org/documentation/standards/kde/kcontrol_style/index.html

It could really use a thorough review and some input. I think it will help us
a lot with cleaning KControl but in order to do that it must be embraced and
established and that requires it contains sensible stuff.. So, have I missed
something? What is plain wrong? Is there some other issues we can address
globally?
The Guidelines is not so strict and formal but rather tries to be resourceful,
and bring awareness to the usability aspects - that's why the rationalis for
the various guidelines are included, for example. It discusses the issues
rather than (only :) commands.

As you will discover, large parts of KControl does not conform to the
guidelines. I will try to get KControl closer to the guidelines by following
up the wording recommendations, and do the obvious refactoring which
naturally follows(for example, Peripherals changed to Hardware and move the
Laptop kcms to it)
So, it is of utter importance the guidelines is peer reviewed.. If something
is wrong or a "no no" you will have to speak up, otherwise I see it as a
silent agreement.

This is for a start, there will be much more done with KControl(from my side
atleast) but I need to finish some infrastructure code first..

Cheers,

		Frans