future versions (Re: [kde-announce] Announcing KDE 3.2)

Stephan Kulow coolo at kde.org
Thu Feb 5 09:53:00 GMT 2004

On Thursday 05 February 2004 09:27, Rob Kaper wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 09:57:18PM +0100, Harald Fernengel wrote:
> > I'm actively developing it on Qt 4 and porting it to Qt 3.3 in my spare
> > time (which is not much and requires crude hacks :( ), a snapshot can be
> > found at http://trolls.troll.no/~harald/accessibility/. Moving quickly
> > to KDE 4 would allow us to break BIC in kdelibs where it is needed for
> > the accessibility stuff.
>
> We moved to Qt3/KDE3 quickly for BiDi text support, *and* to have a
> long-lived binary-compatible 3.x platform for third-party developers to
> develop against, which more or less prevents us from using the same argument
> again for 4.x.

"3.0 was released on April 3rd, 2002" - taking that a KDE4, even if we move
quickly to it, would be released in 2005, I would call this long-lived enough
in the open source world. The question here is more if we have the resources
(and will) to release a 3.3 in 2004.

Greetings, Stephan

--
There may be no I in TEAM, but a M and an E.