[kde-announce] Announcing KDE 3.2

Frans Englich frans.englich at telia.com
Thu Feb 5 05:35:40 GMT 2004

On Wednesday 04 February 2004 11:00, Brad Hards wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 23:19 pm, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> > KDE Project Ships New Major Release Of Leading Open Source Desktop
> > Environment
>
> Nice. Very very nice. I've been liking it a lot, for a while now :-)
>
> Now, about KDE 3.3 and KDE 4.0...

I have some wanderings too - except for porting to QT4 and those rhough ideas
Waldo mentions, how would an KDE4 release differ from a KDE3.3?
Is there an architectural need for changing the APIs?
From a KDE user's perspective a 3.3 release(new features) is of highest
interest I think - usability improvements and new features. But OTOH, it is
better if BC is broken now than later..
Is there an urge for being in sync with QT4 or can we for example wait until a
couple of minor-minor releases has passed?
Would it hurt QT or KDE if the major version differed for a let say 4-6 months
period?

Regarding the bug database - there is a huge amount of BRs and a lot of them
are irrelevant and others are easily fixed. Wouldn't it be possible to do a
minor KDE release which was not released before the bug count has gone below
a reasonable amount?(since the code freeze most likely would be longer that
would also allow translators to do a thorough job) Or some kind of cleanup
verification, each BR would have to be flagged as being valid(verifying it
have been looked at) or close/fix it.

		Frans