Varying desktop sizes (Was: Roaming User Support - Questions...)

Bo Thorsen bo at sonofthor.dk
Wed Feb 4 11:21:47 GMT 2004

On Wednesday 04 February 2004 11:50, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Wed February 4 2004 08:27, Bo Thorsen wrote:
> > I have a 2560x1024 desktop and two 1024x768 desktops, and I have
> > learned simply not to run KDE with the same .kde between these :-(
> > Just try setting reasonable background images on these to see the
> > immediate problem.
>
> I don't have such setup so if you can tell what the problem is that
> would be more helpful.

The problem mostly is that the desktop settings do not work too well for
xinerama. This means I'm using only background images that are precisely
1280x1024 and set to tile these. Every other setting than tiling doesn't
work well, since it doesn't know about the two monitors. E.g. the center
option puts it in the center of the combined screen instead of in the
center of both screens.

> > After that, you will notice that the location of kicker buttons
> > and applets will be completely screwed up when you go back to the
> > xinerama screen. To make matters worse, I have the xinerama support
> > on kicker set up so the panel only shows on one monitor. This doesn't
> > exactly work well when I log in on the smaller desktops.
>
> Does the attached patch help?

I will test this as soon as I can and get back to you with it. Thanks. If
this works, then I can use my other machines for quick email checks and
so on. That the background isn't set nicely is of course not as
important.

Bo.