Roaming User Support - Questions...

Jason Keirstead jason at keirstead.org
Tue Feb 3 23:31:04 GMT 2004

On February 3, 2004 05:59 pm, Dr. Juergen Pfennig wrote:
> (1) Didn't KDE people say that KDE takes over some operating system roles to
> guaranty that the required services exist on all platforms?

I don't know of any KDE services that do anything as hardcore as what you want.
IMO this level of complexity has no place in KDE... its a filesystem level thing.

> (2) Debian people have problems with some of that. KDE 3.1.x was kept long
> time in "unstable" because the LM Sensors stuff did not compile on an exotic
> system with 0.00x % market share. Does KDE need that so badly? I thought that
> LM Sensors is an interface to read the cpu- and mother-board temperatures and
> the voltage levels of the power supply?

I highly doubt this situation is as you say. The only KDE code that would have anything
at all to do with lmsensors is KSim, and that isn't in any of the core packages, it is in
kdeutils. And  KSim works fine on BSD even IIRC, so it would certainly work on any Linux
distro..

> So the conclusion: KDE wants to extend the operating system and there are
> areas that are much more interresting than a custom inetd or an applet to
> display the cpu temperature.

You are comparing apples to oranges. KSim doesn't include a kernel module to *do* the
temperature monitoring, all it does is report via standard sensor APIs. If there was a standard
remote filesystem caching API, KDE could use it. But there is not.

If you are so concerned with your fileserver crashing what you *should* be using is a distributed,
robust filesystem spread across multiple redundant servers, like OpenAFS, not a hodgepodge
of a network filesystem like SMB with an unstable Windows server which you hack around by caching
old data all over the place. OpenAFS even has Windows support for people stuck in the
"Windows Ghetto" as you put it.

If you still want to stick with your unstable Windows server, then use login scripting combined with
rsync like I said in the previous email

--
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

http://www.keirstead.org