Exorcising KSpell

Don Sanders sanders at kde.org
Tue Feb 3 06:53:44 GMT 2004

On Tuesday 03 February 2004 13:09, Zack Rusin wrote:
> On Monday 02 February 2004 00:43, Don Sanders wrote:
>
> > I'm due to think about KMail html editing and as-you-type spell
> > checking this weekend. If possible I would like to deliver html
> > editing with spellchecking for the separate kdepim release, (but
> > I suspect it will be difficult).
>
> Welll, as you can imagine it wouldn't be hard at all, but since the
> separate release of kdepim will be based on kdelibs 3.2 we really
> can't use it.

Personally If necessary I'm fine with the separate release including
replacements for parts of kdelibs.

But sure it would be better to avoid that if possible.

> > Hmm, I believe on-the-fly spell checking is working correctly,
> > reliably and performing well for the 3.2 release. At least I'm
> > not experiencing problems with it (are you?).
>
> Yeah, it's still acting up here. Mainly because we made it use way
> too small treshhold for errors in the automatic detection (it's
> virtually always off).

I think the current algorithm works well for a few (single language)
paragraphs of text, (like this mail). But for larger amounts of text
a tweak to make it more lenient would indeed be beneficial.

For 3.2 I'm ok with the current, better safe than sorry approach.

Don.