Moving kdcop

Frans Englich frans.englich at telia.com
Mon Feb 2 23:09:05 GMT 2004

On Monday 02 February 2004 23:41, Brad Hards wrote:

> On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 09:21 am, Frans Englich wrote:
> > I want kdcop in kdesdk to reduce KDE forking.
>
> I'm not sure I understand. Why does moving a bit of code from one KDE
> module to another prevent forking (as in
> http://people.kldp.org/~eunjea/jargon/?idx=forked)?

Yes, that's my definition(good idea to check this).

> If you mean you are trying to influence distributions:

I'm not, I'm trying to make KDE be more like distributors want it. Feel free
to quote where I indicated that.

> 1. That is outside KDE's charter, see:
> http://www.kde.org/download/packagepolicy.php
> 2. You are creating work for them and us, for little or no gain.

(and that's why this is irrelevant, AFAICT)

> 3. It probably won't work anyway - if they had a kdcop package in previous
> releases, they'll likely want to have one in this release too.

Assuming it's a conscious decision - that is, if they know what every cryptic
dir in our packages means, and manages to keep up to date with what goes on
in KDE development.

> If not,
> where is the problem?

Well, there's many reasons to why it's a Good Thing to have the vanilla
version as users wants it. And forking is Bad.

In either case, I'll drop the moving of kdcop - I rather spend my time and
energy on more productive things.

Cheers,

		Frans