Mixing with KCM KMix

Christian Esken c.esken at cityweb.de
Sun Feb 1 23:33:25 GMT 2004

On Sunday 01 February 2004 04:40, Frans Englich wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> In "KControl/Sound & Multimedia/Mixer" hides 3 settings, which I suggest we
> do the following with:
>
> * Save/Load volumes
> 	Remove. They are obsolete(usability change pre KDE 3.2).

They are obsolete in KControl. I am still planning to put it back in KMix (I
still hate autosave, especially because its broken).

BTW: What would you think about removing the "Dock into panel" option?
I am pretty undecided here: On the one hand, KMix should always dock into the
panel, but on the other hand: what if a user wants to save space on the dock
area - or what if KMix runs in a no-Dockarea-present Environment?

> * Load volumes on Login
> 	Move to kmix's preference

Yes. Yes.

> * "Maximum number of probed devices per mixer"
> 	Fascinating if users can figure out what this does. Remove it and set the
> default value to 3. kmixctrl will then loop 3 times(detecting at maximum 3
> sound cards). The option was there in the belief it affected performance.
> On my setup, there is no measurable difference between detecting for 15 or
> 1 mixers. Although, it is best if someone elaborates on this..

I thought of a better solution: KMix probes until it does not find any further
mixers. So if you got 2 soundcards, KMix would probe 3 devices. OK?

> The attached patch does these changes.
>
> This leaves an empty kcm, except for its init routine. It could be replaced
> by doing a simple:
>
> if kreadconfig --file kmixrc --group Misc --key startkdeRestore --default
> true --type bool; then kmixctrl --restore
>
> (if this is the right way, where should it be executed? It must be quite
> early in startup)
>
> Or, a corresponding code snippet could be added to an existing init lib.
> (if this is preferred - what init lib should it be placed in?)

I don't care where it is put. The above script snippet looks fine (haven't
verified the syntax).

> And after that remove kdemultimedia/kmix/control.
>
> What do people think?

Good move. Go ahead.

Chris