Mixing with KCM KMix

Frans Englich frans.englich at telia.com
Sun Feb 1 03:40:30 GMT 2004

Hi everyone,

In "KControl/Sound & Multimedia/Mixer" hides 3 settings, which I suggest we do
the following with:

* Save/Load volumes
	Remove. They are obsolete(usability change pre KDE 3.2).

* Load volumes on Login
	Move to kmix's preference

* "Maximum number of probed devices per mixer"
	Fascinating if users can figure out what this does. Remove it and set the
default value to 3. kmixctrl will then loop 3 times(detecting at maximum 3
sound cards). The option was there in the belief it affected performance. On
my setup, there is no measurable difference between detecting for 15 or 1
mixers. Although, it is best if someone elaborates on this..

The attached patch does these changes.

This leaves an empty kcm, except for its init routine. It could be replaced by
doing a simple:

if kreadconfig --file kmixrc --group Misc --key startkdeRestore --default true
--type bool; then kmixctrl --restore

(if this is the right way, where should it be executed? It must be quite early
in startup)

Or, a corresponding code snippet could be added to an existing init lib.
(if this is preferred - what init lib should it be placed in?)

And after that remove kdemultimedia/kmix/control.

What do people think?

Cheers,

		Frans