default resolution of kde?

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Thu Dec 30 23:38:41 GMT 2004

On Friday 31 December 2004 00:18, Diego Iastrubni wrote:
> ביום שישי, 31 בדצמבר 2004, 01:14, נכתב על ידי Adriaan de Groot:
> > Don't forget the huge impact fonts have here; how default is
> > Diego's sense of "default"? I think if a clean start after rm -rf
> > .kde (er, $KDEHOME), through KPresonalizer [1] yields settings such
> > that a particular dialog is "Too Big(tm)", _then_ we can worry.
> > Otherwise, stop setting your fonts to 14pt default (like I do, and
> > which causes me to bitch about KDEPIM components being ugly).
>
> What if my fonts are in hebrew? I mean do you expect them to be the
> same size as Latin ones?

I heard/read the rumor that Microsoft tests all dialogs with the German
translation because the German language seems to have the longest
words/labels in average (of all languages Microsoft cares for because
of a sufficiently large market). Of course, it always depends on the
translation, i.e. maybe there is a shorter translation which would also
work. One particularly ugly example is the "Sent-Mail folder:" label in
KMail's composer which is translated with "Ordner für versandte
Nachrichten:" which is twice as long as the English text.

Regards,
Ingo