Set shadowSortColumn false per default

Jason Keirstead jason at keirstead.org
Tue Dec 21 18:05:11 GMT 2004

On Tuesday 21 December 2004 1:28 pm, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> innovation? if something makes it inhospitable to the majority of our new
> users then that's one thing, but simply being different is not an argument
> in an of itself IMHO.

I think the first thing you said definitly applys here - this is going to be
confusing at best, annoying at worst, to any new KDE users coming from Mac,
Windows, or Gnome.

> that said, i'm reminded of the "titles in the K Menu" discussion:

The KMenu titles is not a good example, because it is blatently obvious what
those are - titles for the applications. What this column shading is doing is
in no way obvious. Why is this column shaded differently than the others? Is
it a bug (this is what I thought at first!!!)? Is it because there is some
problem with an item in that column? Is it because the odd numbered columns
are being shaded and this is column 1? Is it because this column contains
some form of important information?

It is totally not intuitive that this colorization is indicating the sort
column. Colorization usually either indicates that a GUi item is in some way
important or requires attention, or is done to increase readability (as in
alternating listview colors). The sort column is not an important item
usability wise (and even if it was, it is indicated as such by the header),
nor does shading it it increase readability. In fact it could be said it
decreases readability since now I have black text on a grey background,
rather than a white one.

--
If you wait by the river long enough, eventually
you will see the bodies of all your enemies float by.