brain-dead leveling (was: Re: KIO->GnomeVFS bridge started (looking for a Common-VFS))

Benjamin Meyer ben at meyerhome.net
Tue Dec 21 02:55:43 GMT 2004

On Monday 20 December 2004 9:44 pm, Torsten Rahn wrote:
> Am Dienstag 21 Dezember 2004 01:52 schrieb Benjamin Meyer:
> > configs.  You can't do all at once, but you can do them one at a time.
> > And if you want users to really think there is a common Linux desktop,
> > support a common widget theme and icon set today.
>
> No, it will just add another iconset among other existing ones.
> For KDE as a project itself I'd consider such an action even very very
> _harmful_ as it would delete its branding instantly.

Well then you can work on the plugin that lets gtk load KDE widget themes.

> Whatever organization will promote Linux as a desktop *will* definately
> replace the design with their respective own branding material anyways
> (which also includes styles and iconthemes). In this regard Linux will
> _never_ promote a single branding (i.e. icontheme, style etc.) exclusively.
> You _will_ always have the different distributions and projects have their
> own branding.

Speaking as a user, if freedesktop.org presented me with a iconset and theme
that made all gnome and kde apps look the same (and the theme wasn't half
bad) I would use it simply to make my apps consistant.  I am not some
hardcode KDE user.  If gnumeric can open the file when kspread can't then I
will use gnumeric to get the job done.

> I support interoperability that makes it easier for the user to integrate
> applications from other desktop environments. But I strongly condemn any
> measures which:
>
> A) replace KDE technology advancements by significantly inferior technology
> just for the sake of brain-dead leveling.

Agreed

> B) erase KDE branding just for the sake of brain-dead leveling.
> KDE-specific branding makes it easier to promote KDE as an independent
> project with its own development paradigms and philosophies.

I didn't say to erase.  I simply said that freedesktop.org or some 3rd party
must provide a common iconset/theme for there to be a common Linux desktop.
KDE can keep using whatever it wants as default even if no distro ships it as
default.

> C) introduce obstacles that keep KDE development from the most effective
> way to create significant innovative technologies and thereby a better user
> experience just to "wait" for other projects (e.g. to reinvent the wheel in
> the name of negligible advantages) and just for the sake of brain-dead
> leveling.

Agreed

- -Benjamin Meyer

- --