kioslave/media compile error

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at kdemail.net
Sat Dec 18 21:29:10 GMT 2004

Kévin Ottens wrote:
>Le Samedi 18 Décembre 2004 19:28, Thiago Macieira a écrit :
>> Let me repeat once again: userspace programs, like KDE, should NOT
>> include kernel header files. Copy the necessary structures to a
>> private header.
>
>Do you mean that I should recopy the necessary parts (one struct and
> several #define) of linux/cdrom.h into the cpp file? What happened if
> some of the #define'd values changes?

The developer must. If you're the developer, then that's you.

The #defines can't change. Imagine what would happen if they did: all
compiled programs would stop working.

No, the ABI must be kept.

>I'm not against doing it, I just find a bit weird to be forced to do
> this when the purpose of linux/cdrom.h is to be used in userspace

Uh.. no. No Linux kernel header is supposed to be used in userspace
programs. They simply aren't guaranteed to behave.

> programs. I can have been mistaken but there's a comment in this file
> explaining why it exists.

Well, it's no use to write a comment saying "you can use this in
userspace" when the code inside the file doesn't compile in userspace
cleanly.

Facts are more important than comments.

--
  Thiago Macieira  -  thiago (AT) macieira (DOT) info
    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:

2. Tó cennan his weorc gearu, ymbe se circolwyrde, wearð se cægbord and se
leohtspeccabord, and þa mýs cómon lator. On þone dæg, he hine reste.