Bug in KURL handling(?)

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Wed Dec 15 20:58:52 GMT 2004

On Wednesday 15 December 2004 10:06, David Faure wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 December 2004 13:31, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > The current behaviour is not acceptable, in which it displays # in
> > the Location bar both for anchors and for %23.
>
> This is not true - the location bar shows %23 for %23 (e.g. for a '#'
> in a path).
>
> The confusion in this thread seems to come from the assumption that,
> in konq's locationbar, "when it starts with a slash it is a path" -
> it is not so, it is still a URL, just without file:// in front.

And that's probably the real problem. I'm 100% sure that my parents
wouldn't identify a%23b (shown in the location bar) with the file
called a#b. This is extremely confusing.

> And for this reason I don't see a reason for Ingo's patch to be
> applied.

FWIW, I just tried to following (Reminder: I'm using KDE_3_3_BRANCH): I
created a file called 'a#b' in $HOME. Then I opened Konqueror and
started to type "~/a" into the location bar. The auto-completion offers
~/a#b. I select it and press Enter. "The file or folder ~/a#b does not
exist."
Huh? WTF? First Konqueror offers me the file via auto-completion and
then it tells me the file doesn't exist? (Deja-vu? I have the uncertain
feeling that I already brought exactly this example before.)

IMO this whole situation is completely broken. A path which is entered
in Konqueror should be interpreted as path. Interpreting it as file URL
with omitted "file://" is just wrong. No user will understand that he
has to enter "~/a%23b" to open the file ~/a#b (even if auto-completion
is fixed so that it offers ~/a%23b instead of ~/a#b).

The only sensible solution for this whole usability mess is that
anything without protocol is interpreted as path. And, of course, file
URLs which are not just simple path must not be crippled because
otherwise Konqueror won't understand them anymore correctly.

Somehow this reminds me of the special handling of IDNs, with the
difference that for IDNs it's done correctly (i.e. the user never has
to enter xn--foo as domain name) while for path it's done wrongly
(because the user has to know the hex code of '#').

Regards,
Ingo