How did akregator come into kdepim?

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Sun Dec 12 21:22:12 GMT 2004

   My commit logs said why.  They became email to kde-cvs at kde.org.

> Moving applications around affects a lot of developers. This has to be
> discussed openly.

   And it was.

> >    What does it matter if
> > the app is in that module or another?  Honestly?
>
> It's a matter of dependencies and sharing code. I don't think it is a
> good solution to have knewsticker and akregator in different modules.
> Because we don't allow dependencies between kdepim and kdenetwork this
> prevents sharing code between these two apps. I honestly think that
> this is a bad idea.

   We discussed sharing code etc and there is no clear solution for it.  It's
not going to happen in the near future.  We can move things around later as
necessary.

> By the way, I don't say that I don't want to have akregator in kdepim. I
> personally think that it is a nice addition to kdepim and said that
> before. But there also were objections and these have to be taken
> seriously.

   I did take them seriously.  I moved to kdenetwork.  It doesn't work there,
as I discovered after nothing built, so I had to move it to keep akregator
developers and kdenetwork developers going.

> >    I spent plenty of time trying to integrate into kdenetwork and
> > when the real problem was discovered I had to move it again.  I
> > *tried* to do what was the concensus on that mailing list, and it
> > proved impossible.
>
> How did it work when akregator was in kdenonbeta?

   It had conditional build that built a non-Kontact-compatible version if
Kontact was not found.  Basically it creates a runtime bug (dysfunctional
kontact plugin) to avoid a compile error, which is silly.

> >    No it isn't.  The librss in akregator is a largely modified fork
> > and it will never be re-merged as-is.  See the other thread on k-c-d
> > about it.
>
> I think it's wrong to have different forks of the same library in KDE
> CVS. I didn't find a good reason why there can't be a shared library in
> the thread on the mailing list. What's the reason for this?

   aKregator's librss does some things that aren't really RSS.  The developers
of librss and akregator are working on a solution.

--
George Staikos
KDE Developer				http://www.kde.org/