XML/XSD based configuration files.

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Wed Dec 8 10:14:06 GMT 2004

On Wednesday 08 December 2004 03:20, Ian Reinhart Geiser wrote:

> On Tuesday 07 December 2004 03:07 pm, Brad Hards wrote:
> > On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 06:14 am, Cristian Tibirna wrote:
> > > That being said, I still think making config. available from central
> > > repos (like ldap or db) is an essential goal in this connected world.
> [...]
> >
> > LGPL - http://www.samba.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/samba4/source/lib/ldb/
> >
> Very interesting.

See also
  http://us1.samba.org/samba/ftp/slides/samba4_hklug.pdf (p. 17)
  http://samba.org/samba/news/articles/samba4_vl.pdf (p. 6)

Tridge's own summary from a mail, where he even hints as its suitability
to replace gconf:
 * flexible database architecture
 * LDB – midpoint between LDAP and TDB (core database in samba3/2.2 –
   trivial database, via key-value pair db)
 * LDAP-like API, with very fast indexing, and LDAP search expressions
   will be supported!
 * ldb usage for all persistent databases, while tdb is for temporary
   databases.
 * smb.conf is going to disappear – its going to sit in ldb
 * LDB is very, very important to Samba4. It is the core. Samba deals
   directly with the LDB database, nice and fast, and no protocol
   restrictions; then OpenLDAP acts as an LDAP front-end to expose it;
   Heimdel acts as a Kerboros front-end to expose it to the network –
   and you get Active Directory.
 * No need to go offline to reindex stuff. ldbsearch/edit/* can even
   backup databases, restore them, and so on.
 * Developers can get hands dirty now. Documenters, test suite folk,
   coders, etc... should come in and use it. It can be an /etc/passwd
   replacement for instance; GNOME might find it as a gconf replacement?

> It looks like something we might want to seriously tack.
> What might be interesting is loadup time, concurrent access, and overall
> search performance.

You can be sure that Samba4/ldb is very well capable in that field,
having to successfully deal with User data bases containing 10s of
thousands of users, running thousands of concurrent sessions to the
Samba server, as happens in really big domains).

> by using a central database, that apps read from
> > Tridge is keen to see this happen.

Last I saw him using his Laptop, he was runnign KDE ;-)

> might be interesting...
>
> cheers
>    -ian reinhart geiser

Cheers,