KBabel/win32: GNU gettext license

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Wed Dec 8 03:00:03 GMT 2004

On Tuesday 07 December 2004 03:10 pm, Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:

> I wonder if "Major component" is enough well defined anywhere... What
> if we can ship (what I also planned) KDElibs package together with
> Qt/win32 - which can be called _system_ package,
> _from_kde/win32_apps_point_of_view_, IMVHO.

"Major component" is not defined in the GPL, so any reasonable
interpretation is as good as another. You can call Qt a major component
if you wish, and you won't get any arguments from me.

But the boundaries of the GPL have been argued to death since time
immemorial. We're not going to solve it here. In fact, the question
will NEVER get solved until that particular clause hits a court of law.

> AFAIK, the funny issue is that if we wanted to link against MFC
> (instead of Qt), nobody would oppose becasue it's shipped with msvc++
> compiler ;(.

What's even funnier is that most people get their MFC runtimes from
end-user applications, and not from a compiler in a shrink wrapped box.

--
David Johnson