KBabel/win32: GNU gettext license

Jaroslaw Staniek js at iidea.pl
Tue Dec 7 23:10:27 GMT 2004

>>http://gettext.sourceforge.net/
>>
>>GPL license allows to link with nonGPL runtime libraries shipped with
>>compiler. That's unclear because we can pretty well consider unmodified Qt
>>as an runtime. 'Where's the boundary?' question looks like a philosophical
>>issue for me.
>

> The boundary is defined by the GPL, clause 3
> "However, as a special exception, the source code distributed need not include
> anything that is normally distributed (in either source or binary form) with
> the major components (compiler, kernel, and so on) of the operating system on
> which the executable runs, unless that component itself accompanies the
> executable."
>
> So in order to be able to link to a commercial Qt, that commercial Qt version
> should normally be distributed along with one of the major components and not
> along with the executable (kbabel)
 >
 > I think (but I could be wrong) that the difference here is that msvcrt is
 > normally distributed along with the Visual C++ compiler, and that Qt is
 > normally not distributed along with the compiler or any other major part of
 > the operating systme and that as such, you are not allowed to link to a
 > commercial Qt while you are allowed to link to msvcrt on the windows
 > platform.

Thanks for mentioning this.

I wonder if "Major component" is enough well defined anywhere... What if we
can ship (what I also planned) KDElibs package together with Qt/win32 - which
can be called _system_ package, _from_kde/win32_apps_point_of_view_, IMVHO.

AFAIK, the funny issue is that if we wanted to link against MFC (instead of
Qt), nobody would oppose becasue it's shipped with msvc++ compiler ;(.

I do not try to find a clever workaroung for GPL, hmm... maybe GPL 3 will add
some more evidence, but that's other story.

--
regards / pozdrawiam,
  Jaroslaw Staniek / OpenOffice Polska / Kexi Team