XML/XSD based configuration files.

Frans Englich frans.englich at telia.com
Tue Dec 7 18:04:22 GMT 2004

On Tuesday 07 December 2004 17:21, George Staikos wrote:

> > >     Do you realize how slow it is to parse this stuff relative to our
> > > current format?  I've been doing lots of Kst profiling lately and XML
> > > parsing is a huge factor for us.  I'm glad we don't use XML for KConfig
> > > natively.
> >
> > Did you use libxml or the Qt classes? I can't find the link currently,
> > but there was a benchmark where some xml parsers were tested. libxml was
> > the fastest and QDom the slowest implementation. The trolls promised to
> > deliver a faster DOM implementation for Qt 4, so we just have to check
> > wether it can take on libxml's speed. it's not XML that's slow.
>
>    Both.  Actually one of the slowest components uses libxml I think.

I assume you talk about libxml2 when you write libxml.

AFAIK, you'll have to look far for anything as fast and feature complete as
libxml2.

Here's a benchmark. Comparing to Qt is... cute:

http://xmlbench.sourceforge.net/results/benchmark200402/index.html

(Daniel, it was perhaps this link you were referring to?)

Cheers,

		Frans