[patch] Minicli shows app descriptions

Unai Garro ugarro at telefonica.net
Tue Dec 7 09:12:47 GMT 2004

> Well this means your nano.desktop doesn't have an icon.
> If I type "vi", then I get no icon and I would get no label anyway, since
>there is no vi.desktop.

Yes, I really wish I had .desktop files for every unix command ;)

Ok, lets stop this thread since it's getting too far...

I'm not saying this method is perfect, since it's not. The intention was
rather to add a little bit more info on what minicli is about to do, which I
think it manages to. Now I see not everyone agrees. Indeed I expected to be
flamed for any changes like this one, and thus I reported to core-devel....

What I won't accept is "minicli gets bigger" or "it ain't fast" excuses, since
I already tested and proved it's not slower and I can make it smaller.
Minicli on its own is over 1000 lines already, which is a little bit too much
for a damn simple "command exec" dialog.

I also think that in current state very few newbie users would use it. Not
only because they don't know the commands, but also because one doesn't know
what minicli is about to do. (paths, .desktop file parameters that diverge
from the ones you just typed..., etc etc)