[patch] Minicli shows app descriptions

Dawit A. adawit at kde.org
Tue Dec 7 06:42:25 GMT 2004

On Monday 06 December 2004 18:31, Unai Garro wrote:
> > If you want whatis, how about implementing that as a command for the
> > minicli? Or show the label as a tooltip, only fetched if the cursor rests
> > over the line edit for a moment.
>
> I'm trying to make the dialog more useable, not more unuseable.. the more
> simple to work, the better imho. I think the current minicli is too much
> developer oriented, it's got several flaws to be useable (see below for an
> example)

I am sorry, but this is nonsense. You have to already know the command you
want to type before you can use minicli regardless of the type of user you
are. This change does not make minicli any more useable than it already is.

> Now the flaw example: begin typing some command in minicli "k...." then
> you'll see completions. Try to pick one and complete the command by hand.
> Bum! the command run as soon as you selecting the command, without letting
> you decide if you want to edit it.

Shift + Enter is your friend. BTW, this is true everywhere KLineEdit/KComboBox
is used...

> Btw, I just run kdesktop under valgrind to test it... it can't be much
> worse, can it? Also note the .desktop files are searched for also before
> running the command

As David already stated there is no point in applying this patch. If the user
does not already know the executable (s)he wants to type, then minicli is
actually useless regardless his/her knowledge level...

--
Regards,
Dawit A.