[patch] Minicli shows app descriptions

Unai Garro ugarro at telefonica.net
Mon Dec 6 23:31:25 GMT 2004

> If you want whatis, how about implementing that as a command for the
> minicli? Or show the label as a tooltip, only fetched if the cursor rests
> over the line edit for a moment.

I'm trying to make the dialog more useable, not more unuseable.. the more
simple to work, the better imho. I think the current minicli is too much
developer oriented, it's got several flaws to be useable (see below for an
example)

One thing is making the dialog small & smart... but it has to be useable and
safe for the end user. Else I think we should put it under Ctrl+ñ+ü, so
nobody runs it. Notice the dialog can be opened from KMenu -> Run command...
so it's rather exposed to the final user, including newbies.

Now the flaw example: begin typing some command in minicli "k...." then you'll
see completions. Try to pick one and complete the command by hand. Bum! the
command run as soon as you selecting the command, without letting you decide
if you want to edit it.

Btw, I just run kdesktop under valgrind to test it... it can't be much worse,
can it? Also note the .desktop files are searched for also before running the
command