Moving kdebase/kdesu to kdelibs

Frans Englich frans.englich at telia.com
Fri Dec 3 23:58:59 GMT 2004

On Wednesday 01 December 2004 00:47, Adriaan de Groot wrote:

> On Tuesday 30 November 2004 19:10, Frans Englich wrote:
> > It was recently discussed/suggested on kde-core-devel to move
> > kdebase/kdesu to kdelibs, because it is needed in new functionality to be
> > merged into kdelibs/kutils:
> >
> > http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=110143216707064&w=2
>
> Missed / skipped that one since it didn't seem immediately relevant to me.
>
> > I'm wondering if you, as maintainer of kdelibs/kdesu/, thinks that's a
> > good idea? What do you think of kdelibs/kdesu/kdesu as location for
> > kdebase/kdesu?
>
> I'm maintainer only because noone else wanted it and it was horribly broken
> on several platforms I use, so I had to hack on it. I'd say Ossi probably
> knows more about its inner workings and pty weirdness than anyone else,
> myself included. So I don't feel particularly qualified to comment as a
> maintainer. As far as the move goes, policy dictates that for the code to
> be usable from everywhere it must be in libs, and if we also have decided
> that this code must be usable from everywhere, then logic (spare me your
> Achilles & the Tortoise stories) dictates that it be moved.
>
> I don't like your proposed location, though, since then we get
> kdelibs/kdesu/kdesu/kdesu/kdesu.cpp, for one thing. I'd rearrange a little
> to get kdesu/{lib,daemon,client}.

Ok, how about moving:

kdelibs/kdesu/*
kdelibs/kdesu/lib/

kdebase/kdesu/kdesu/
kdelibs/kdesu/client

kdebase/kdesu/kdesud
kdelibs/kdesu/daemon

kdebase/kdesu/<random files>
kdelibs/kdesu/

and adjust the Makefiles accordingly.

Putting the top files from kdebase/kdesu/ into kdelibs/kdesu could perhaps
lead to confusion; the daemon and client is under APL while the library is
LGPL, but it shouldn't be a problem. I'll notify sysadmin unless someone has
a better idea.

Cheers,

		Frans