KDE_EXPORT and compilation breakage in kdepim

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at kdemail.net
Fri Dec 3 11:42:05 GMT 2004

Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
>Some tracking shows that the problem seems to be that in kdemacros.h
> from kde 3.3.1 there is the definition
>#if __GNUC__ - 0 > 3 || (__GNUC__ - 0 == 3 && __GNUC_MINOR__ - 0 > 2)
>#define KDE_EXPORT __attribute__ ((visibility("visible")))
>#else

The bug is here. That is an invalid declaration and has never worked.

>Obviously gcc 3.3 also doesn't understand the "visible" value for the
>visibility attribute. Since kdepim has only kdelibs 3.3 as requirement,
> we really need to get kdepim to compile with kdelibs BRANCH.

BRANCH != 3.3.0 or 3.3.1

It is supposed to compile against BRANCH, since the fix went in after
3.3.1 was released. 3.3.2 is tagged against a file that fixes the
declaration.

>What is the exact reason that KDE_EXPORT was added to all these methods?

So that those symbols are visible externally.

> Is this absolutely necessary, or is it just an optimization?

Yes, absolutely necessary.

> If it is
> absolutely necessary, do you see any other way to make compilation of
> kdepim HEAD work again with kdelibs BRANCH, without explicitly

Just update to the BRANCH's HEAD (*).

(*) We use "HEAD" wrongly. "HEAD" means the latest revision in a branch.
Our master branch is called MAIN.

--
  Thiago Macieira  -  Registered Linux user #65028
   thiago (AT) macieira (DOT) info