KNewStuff Wallpapers

Jason Keirstead jason at keirstead.org
Thu Dec 2 18:17:43 GMT 2004

On Wednesday 01 December 2004 5:23 pm, Benjamin Meyer wrote:
> This is a good lesson about how to badly name things.  Is it really New?
> Will it always be New?  What makes it hot?  What is "stuff"?  Changing it
> to "Third Party addons" isn't as sexy and you can probably think of
> something better sense I still am not really sure what it does from a quick
> look.

For one, since when does the name of a library in CVS matter? I never saw
anyone complain about what "libltdl" means. The user doesn't have to know or
care what the library is called - the person using the library can put any
text on the window they like - its just a KDialog - "Get hot new stuff" is a
generic default, I don't see anything wrong with that.

For two, if you don't like the naming convention of the library, shouldn't you
have raised these objections when the module was being put into kdelibs, like
say, over 1 year ago? It's a bit late to totally re-name the library seeing
how there are tons of apps that use it both in and out of KDE CVS.

--
If you wait by the river long enough, eventually
you will see the bodies of all your enemies float by.