Moving dnssd to kdelibs

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Thu Dec 2 15:16:59 GMT 2004

On Thursday 02 December 2004 05:04, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > >    Any ideas about integrating this with KNetAttach?
> >
> > Yes,  at least for fish, webdav and ftp (and nfs too): there can be
> > listbox with found services below Host and Path input fields - similar to
> > krdc. It would be something like 10-20 lines of code for each. As far as
> > I know gnome-user-share announces _webdav._tcp so it would be even more
> > useful.
>
> I have mixed feelings about knetattach.
> Basically it's just an easier way to create url's.

  Yes, that's the whole point.  -just- an easier way to create urls.  Not the
only way to create urls, and not the only way to connect to network
resources.

> (Can't we have a better name for it ?

   Yes, no-one has proposed one, but even then, the name is meaningless and
not really used.

> Why does it live in kdebase and not in kdenetwork ?)

   Because remote:/ is in kdebase.

> Ideally the user would just browse to the location he's interested in
> instead of having to create an url for it (manually or with knetattach). If
> he wants to have a shortcut for this location, he can bookmark it.

   You're missing the point....

> Now with knetattach avoid this browsing by requiring the user to build an
> url and using this url statically. This is ok for some purposes, but it's
> not the ideal solution to "network browsing". It's ok for creating
> shortcuts e.g. to remote ssh logins or similar things.

   Not require, provide a mechanism for.  The whole point of the wizard is so
that people don't have to browse.  For you and I, browsing is great.  For
many people out there it is not great.  It's complicated and confusing.

> So what do you think ?

  I think it's too compilcated.  I can't call my client hundreds of km away
and tell the secretary to browse to my web folder server and place a file
there.  I can tell her an address, login, and password and she can connect
with a wizard.  That's the difference.

--
George Staikos
KDE Developer				http://www.kde.org/