RFC: Managing remote folders, KNetAttach sequel

Aaron Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Dec 2 00:02:03 GMT 2004

On December 1, 2004 16:15, Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
> 1. A shortcut to a database connection to a local/remote sql server
> (username / pwd / port / etc.)
> 2. A shortcut to a database (pointer to a connection created in 1. +
> database name for that connection)

so now we have GUI needs for:

	0. network storage (aka "folders")
	1. over-the-network GUIs (vnc, rdp, NX)
	2. database connections

while 0 & 1 have protocols, 2 has database types. these can all be presented
to the user as simply a list of options, though, as knetattach does for
Network Folders.

generic name, host, port, encryption and "path" are common to all 3 (with the
"path" being the database name for db connections, obviously)

seems like a pattern is indeed emerging, and i wouldn't be surprised at all if
we came up with further examples.

knetattach is a single class wrapped in a kapplication, really, so it should
be easy to extract into a regular widget or even a kpart. options would
include what "protocols" are supported (a simple QStringList would likely
suffice, or we could get fancy with a QDict ;), a way to hide/show individual
components on the second page based on what "protocol" was selected and then
a way to define how to store the results.

George: would you be cool with this sort of change made to the "core" of
knetattach, with knetattach becoming a consumer of this widget?

> 3. A way to store passwords (we need to make KWallet work with above stuff)

using ioslaves you obviously get that for free. i don't know if this is really
in the realm of a knetattach type app?

--
Aaron J. Seigo
Society is Geometric