RFC: Managing remote folders, KNetAttach sequel

Jaroslaw Staniek js at iidea.pl
Wed Dec 1 23:15:16 GMT 2004

> Two weeks ago, Georges Staikos mailed about KNetAttach. This nice wizard
> allows to add links to remote folders on your desktop. It's very convenient
> to help users "find" ioslaves easily without typing unfriendly URLs.

Hi, my 2c from database apps perspective:

Hey, that's something similar we need in Kexi, but we were waiting for
something more generic in kdelibs. In particular we need:

1. A shortcut to a database connection to a local/remote sql server (username
/ pwd / port / etc.)
2. A shortcut to a database (pointer to a connection created in 1. + database
name for that connection)
3. A way to store passwords (we need to make KWallet work with above stuff)

Question: do we need to create different GUIs for defining KIO
slave-compatible "links" and DB-compatible? I guess no, but GUI need to be
customizable enough (at least to change textual descriptions).

Note: The need for making db-compatible "links" is not only for Kexi since
AFAIK more than this one app will be using this db layer.

--
regards / pozdrawiam,
  Jaroslaw Staniek / OpenOffice Polska / Kexi Team