KNewStuff Wallpapers

Cornelius Schumacher schumacher at kde.org
Wed Dec 1 22:10:42 GMT 2004

On Wednesday 01 December 2004 22:23, Benjamin Meyer wrote:
> On Wednesday 01 December 2004 5:26 am, Josef Spillner wrote:
> > Am Mittwoch, 1. Dezember 2004 00:59 schrieb Jonathan Riddell:
> > > I've got a patch adding KNewStuff support for the background
> > > wallpaper KControl module
> > >
> > >  http://muse.19inch.net/~jr/tmp/background-khotstuff.png
> > >  http://muse.19inch.net/~jr/tmp/background-khotstuff.diff
>
> This is a good lesson about how to badly name things.

It's also a good lesson about how difficult it is to find good names and
that marketing demands are different from developer feelings.

> Is it really
> New?  Will it always be New?

Yes, that's the idea,

> What makes it hot?

Its mere existence. When properly applied it's a unique feature, some
say a killer feature.

> What is "stuff"?

Whatever makes sense to be downloaded to enrich your desktop with new
and exciting, well stuff.

> Changing it to "Third Party addons" isn't as sexy and you can
> probably think of something better sense I still am not really sure
> what it does from a quick look.

It provides a convenient interface to download the latest wallpapers
from kde-look (or any other data which the corresponding KDE apps
provide support for, e.g. calendars, game data, whatever).