KNewStuff Wallpapers

Aaron Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Dec 1 22:02:08 GMT 2004

On December 1, 2004 14:23, Benjamin Meyer wrote:
>  Is it really New?

"there is nothing new under the sun"

> Will it always be New?

for as long as its listed, yes.

> What makes it hot?

this is a bit slangy, but it gives it a fun edge, no?

> What is "stuff"?

wallpapers, plugins, calendars, addressbooks, sounds, game boards ... "stuff"

> Changing it
> to "Third Party addons" isn't as sexy

nor is it really that much more obvious. "Third Party Addons" says nothing
about the immediacy ("get") or recency of it ("new"), and those are the two
most important things to communicate here, really.

as long as we don't start using "Get Hot New Stuff" buttons randomly in our
interfaces (see how the button in the wallpaper kcm is called "Get New
Wallpapers") we should be fine. i think "Get New Wallpapers" is pretty
obvious. a bit long winded, but obvious.

and i'm almost tempted to suggest it should be even longer with
s,Get,Download, but that would a bit tooooo big.

what would be VERY good, actually, is to come up with a _standardized_
language for us on these buttons, preferably with a standard icon and a
standard dialog location. that way they can be easily recognized by the user
between applications.

> and you can probably think of
> something better sense I still am not really sure what it does from a quick
> look.

and yet the people i showed it to here in our office figured it out pretty
quickly by looking at the screen shot. amazing.

the kcm could use some layout fix-ups though.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
Society is Geometric